Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sue Mickey!

Okay, yet another ridiculously asanine lawsuit that I can't help but comment on.

According to an article on FOXNews.com, a group of 3 people are suing Walt Disney World because it will not allow them to use their segways in the park. For those who aren't familiar, segways are two-wheeled mobility machines in which the driver stands and steers. The three who are filing suit can stand, but cannot walk for extended periods of time. They claim that segways offer more dignity than wheelchairs.

Disney, in response, has said that they do not allow segways because they can go speeds of up to 20mph, and they are afraid that they could potentially harm other guests. It sounds to me like Disney was trying to avoid injury lawsuits by enacting this ban, but in return, they are being sued for "discriminating."

The three disabled people claim that Disney is violating the American Disabilities Act.

Are you kidding me?

So I did some research. On the U.S. Department of Justice website, in the section that covers the ADA, the only thing I found pertaining to this topic is called the Architectural Barriers Act. This basically requires public facilities to offer wheelchair access. Disney has already done a marvelous job with this. In fact, I cannot tell you how many times I've stood in a line at Disney and watched as someone in a wheelchair was ushered to the front of the line. Yes, I would certainly say that Disney works hard to make accomodations for the handicapped.

So this lawsuit is just plain garbage. Some people will always need something to complain about, and there will always be lawyers just itching to turn their complaints into financially rewarding lawsuits. Disney is a huge corporation with billions of dollars. I can just about guarantee you that these same people have not been prohibited from using their segways in other places, but the lure of a big lawsuit was not there until they learned that Disney also banned the machines.

It really makes me sick. And don't tell me that I'm just not being compassionate. I'm extremely compassionate and sympathetic towards the disabled, and I DO think that we should do everything we can to accomodate these people and offer them the same opportunities as able-bodied people. But you and I know that equal access is not what this suit is about. It's about the hopes for a big payoff.

I truly hope Disney fights back.

No comments: